WCL Annual Report 2011 (527 KB)
This project is supported by The Central Qld Coast Landcare Network through funding from the Australian Government's Caring for our Country
Whitsunday Catchment Landcare is supported by Whitsunday Regional Council and Reef Catchments (Mackay Whitsunday Isaac) Limited
What is it? Plant & animal identification
1. Peri-Urban Pest Project (2009 - 2010)
Information pack developed Pest Management Plan template developed Pest Management Plans provided to land managers..
2. Peri-Urban Land Management Program (2009 - 2010)
In partnership with Sarina Landcare Catchment Management Association and Pioneer Catchment and Landcare Group Peri-urban planning tool developed for Mackay Whitsunday Region ABCD Framework devel..
3. Feral Fish Project (2009 - 2009)
Feral fish survey. Potential demonstration site identified...
4. Jungle Perch Project (2009 - 2009)
Information stand at Show Whitsunday Jungle perch survey underway..
5. Cannonvale Kids Caring for Our Catchment (2009 - 2009)
Poster exhibitions held at Whitsunday Boat Show and a local shopping centre. 1200 canvas bags printed with an anti-litter message and provided to school students and the public...
6. Turtlewatch (2008 - 2008)
Turtle monitoring commenced in Whitsunday Turtle habitat signs installed at 5 beaches...
7. Goorganga Wetlands (2008 - 2008)
Property management plan developed for 'Renwicks' Plant and bird surveys conducted Informative banners developed to highlight wetland values, threats and natural resource management works to pro..
8. Fishways (2006 - 2008)
Lethebrook Fishway constructed on Lagoon Creek Fishways constructed on the O'Connell River at Ellis Road and Porter's Road..
9. Sustainable Landscapes, Whitsunday Catchment (2005 - 2008)
Site assessments and NRM advice given to local land managers 168 projects by 68 land managers A total of $776 000 contributed up to 40% of on-ground works and training activities Cane growing..
10. Healthy Waterways Forum (2003 - 2008)
100 delegates to the 5th HW forum Increased community awareness of water quality and waterway issues..
11. Healthy Waterways Volunteer Water Quality Monitoring Program (formerly Waterwatch) (1998 - 2008)
Ambient (monthly sampling) Water Quality Monitoring Program results published in 2008 report prepared by Department of Natural Resources and Water. The report includes Lethebrook, Myrtle, Impulse and ..
12. Increasing Community Awareness of NRM (2007 - 2007)
1st Whitsunday Environment Awards held (now yearly) Wearable art fashion show to promote environmental issues Multi-media presentation developed by Ecokids and aired on local community televisio..
13. Wetland Weeds Project (2005 - 2007)
Weed control trials conducted Four information bulletins published on weed control in wetlands..
14. Training and Involvement of Young People in NRM (2006 - 2006)
Students obtained a Certificate in Conservation and Land Management Students were trained in weed control and revegetation..
15. Constructing the Whitsunday Catchment (2006 - 2006)
Increased knowledge of the Whitsunday catchment by primary school students. Creation of a model of the catchment for display purposes...
16. Green Corps: Jubilee Pocket Creek Restoration (2006 - 2006)
Weeds and garden waste removed from creeks Revegetation works carried out Brochure distributed..
17. Green Corps: Control of Cat's Claw Creeper (2005 - 2005)
Infestations on the Proserpine River and Myrtle Creek reduced Brochure of CCC produced Track upgrades and revegetation in National Parks..
18. Environmental Weed Control Program (2005 - 2005)
34 Land managers attended workshops. 22 land managers received weed management plans and assistance with weed control...
19. Whitsunday Water for Life (2005 - 2005)
Whitsunday Water for Life..
20. Green Corps: Gloucester Beaches Restoration and Dune Ecology Extension (2005 - 2005)
Gloucester Beaches brochure produced and delivered to residents Bollards installed to control pedestrian access to beach Weed control carried out, particularly of mother-of-millions Community..
21. Mackay Whitsunday Natural Resource Management Plan (2004 - 2005)
Publication of Mackay Whitsunday NRM Plan, a document to guide NRM works across the region Engagement with Grazing and Cane sectors to develop the NRM Plan..
22. Whitsunday Forestry Interest Group (2003 - 2005)
Raised awareness of farm forestry Provided local knowledge to interested landholders..
23. Reducing the Off-Farm Impact of Fertiliser Application in Sugarcane (2003 - 2005)
A booklet containing fertiliser guidelines for commonly occurring local soils was made available to all growers in the Whitsunday area...
24. Galbraith Creek Project (2002 - 2005)
2003 - 160 seedlings planted to restore habitat and stabilise a small section of creek bank 2004 - native seedlings planted and site maintained; water quality data collected by students; riparian e..
25. Leucaena Removal Project (2001 - 2005)
2002 - Coastal leucaena mapped and control commenced 2003 - Removal of 2 ha of leucaena at 32 sites along the Cannonvale � Shute Harbour foreshores by a Green Corps team. 2004 - CVA team removed..
26. Green Reserve (2001 - 2005)
2001 to 2002 - the team constructed the Whitsunday Community Native Tree Nursery and planted 4,000 seedlings as part of the Central Queensland Coast bioregion project. 2003 � Control of Leucaena; 2..
27. Whitsunday Tree Day, Free Tree Day (2001 - 2005)
2002 � 1 300 seedlings to ratepayers 2003 � 1 500 seedlings and information supplied to 190 rate payers 2004 � 1 440 seedlings to 164 rate payers 2005 - 2 300 seedlings and advice provided to..
28. Green Corps: Management of the Weed Ruellia (2004 - 2004)
The team surveyed the occurrence of Ruellia in a number of creek systems. A Management Plan for Ruellia was developed A Report on the control of Ruellia was developed...
29. Whitsunday Native Plant Propagation Booklet (2003 - 2003)
Gaining of knowledge of local plant species Printing of the Whitsunday Native Plant Propagation Booklet..
30. Green Corps: Leucaena Control (2003 - 2003)
In 2003 the team controlled Leucaena at 32 sites along the foreshore area which covers over 2 ha. The team was also involved in upgrading the walking track along the Whitsunday great walk in Conway..
31. Whitsunday Water Quality Monitoring Project (2000 - 2003)
Data were collected at 18 sites on 13 occasions One set of data was collected during a flood event on the Proserpine river Report published in 2003: 'Coast and Clean Seas Project, Water Quality ..
32. Central Qld Coast Revegetation Project (2000 - 2003)
86 revegetation projects that planted 39,800 seedlings. Five weed control projects that removed weeds from 44.5 ha of native vegetation. 17 fencing projects that created 34 km of fencing to prot..
33. Green Corps: Support of the Central Qld Coast Revegetation Project (2002 - 2002)
12,500 seedlings planted 2 ha of weeds controlled 1 km of creek fenced numerous community projects assisted including work at the Airlie Beach PCYC and community resource centre...
34. Proserpine and Gregory Rivers Erosion and Vegetation Condition Assessment (1999 - 1999)
Vegetation surveys of Proserpine and Gregory River Publication of the Proserpine and Gregory River Vegetation and Erosion Assessment..
35. Andromache and O'Connell Rivers Erosion and Vegetation Condition Assessment (1999 - 1999)
Vegetation surveys of Proserpine and Gregory River. Publication of the Proserpine and Gregory River Vegetation and Erosion Assessment ...
36. Whitsunday Rivers Strategy Development (1998 - 1999)
Production and publication of the Whitsunday Rivers ICM Association Catchment Strategy, launched by the Honourable Stephen Robinson, Minister for Natural Resources and Mines...